The problem with the lack of memory sooner or later can hit every laptop user. We will tell you how to deal with this problem.
Expanding the RAM on your laptop
Games and programs are becoming more and more hardware-demanding every year. A few years ago, 4 GB of RAM might have been enough for everyday work, but today even 32 GB is not enough for creative tasks.
For owners of PCs, upgrading the system unit is a reasonably ordinary task. But with laptops, the situation is a little more complicated.
For example, how to increase the memory on the computer, and in general, is it possible to add RAM to a laptop? We will answer these questions in our material.
Let’s say that online gambling does not need a lot of memory because they do not need to download. But it is worth getting acquainted with online blackjack rules to be ready to play.
Can the RAM be increased in a notebook?
Increasing the amount of RAM is only possible on some laptops. Some models have RAM integrated directly into the motherboard, which makes it impossible to perform any operations with it. It is the case for most small netbooks and MacBooks produced older than 2013, as well as some ordinary representatives from Acer, HP and ASUS.
At the same time, there are many models with a free module for adding RAM. So it is desirable to clarify this issue before buying a device to understand the prospect in advance.
To check whether this option is available, you need to read the device’s technical documentation (usually, it can be found on the manufacturer’s website). There you will see information about the functional RAM module and the presence (or absence) of a free slot. And you can also read reviews on the Internet – type the exact name of the laptop into a search engine along with a phrase like “add RAM to your laptop”.
What kind of RAM should I choose for my laptop?
When choosing the RAM for the laptop, you need to consider several things. First, the new and old strips must be compatible with each other. Be sure that the boards are of the same generation: for example, DDR3 will not “make friends” with DDR4 and DDR2.
Ideally, in general, find a RAM of the same model from the same manufacturer with similar characteristics (volume, frequency and latency, voltage). Of course, you can pick up variants with different frequencies and capacities, but in this case, the old and new RAM will function in single-channel mode and at the frequency of the slowest board. But you are likely to notice that something needs to be fixed: the difference will be insignificant in games and office programs. But if you work with graphics or serious calculations, it is better to take an identical RAM.
Secondly, the bar must meet the requirements/characteristics of the laptop’s motherboard. For example, laptops will not work RAM modules with a voltage of 1.5 V if the motherboard supports a maximum of 1.35 V. This should also be considered before upgrading. In addition, each laptop has its limit on the amount of RAM (usually 32 or 64 GB). All this is specified in the technical documentation of the computer.
Installing RAM on the laptop: step-by-step instructions
The algorithm of actions depends on what RAM already stands on in the laptop. There are three options:
- In the first case, the RAM module is integrated into the motherboard, and there are no free slots. Then a further upgrade becomes impossible. Alternative ways to speed up performance remain, but we will discuss them below.
- In the second case, we can see that part of the memory is soldered to the notebook board, but there is one free slot. In this case, we can put an identical or similarly configured module to increase the performance by about two times.
- In the third option, we see that all modules in the slots are removable, giving us the right to fully upgrade the cards and put in a couple of new, fast and significant ones. Thus we get a lot of speed up the laptop.
Usually, the slots are installed intuitively and uncomplicated on special latches. But if in doubt, you can clarify how this is done by watching the video tutorial. If the laptop is purchased recently, you should be careful with warranty stickers, as by ripping them off, the customer risks losing the warranty service of the computer. Sometimes, it is better to contact specialists or your warranty service to replace the RAM. It usually costs no more than a couple of thousand rubles. But you will be sure that everything will be done correctly.
Alternative ways to increase laptop RAM
As we can see, the traditional way to increase the RAM on a laptop only applies to some devices. But do not despair; there are other methods to improve performance.
Increase memory with the flash drive
It is possible to unload the operating system at the expense of a hard drive, but a flash drive has a significant advantage in speed, especially when it comes to transferring through the USB 3 version. To use this technique, the flash drive’s capacity should be at least 1 GB, and the write and read speeds should be 1.75 and 2.5 Mbps, respectively. But the optimal size is considered 8 GB.
The connection process is not complicated:
- We check if the system is ready for more RAM. To do this, press Win+R and type services. MSC. Click OK. In the window that opens, find the service called Superfetch (or SysMain). In the column “Status” opposite, it should glow “Working” (or “Running”). Otherwise, click the name twice with the left mouse button and in the column “Startup Type”, change “Disabled” to “Automatic”.
- Insert the flash drive into a free slot. It is desirable to format it beforehand. To do this, open “This Computer” and find its name in the “Devices and Disks” section. Right-click on it and click on “Format”. It is advisable to choose the same formatting format as your hard drive.
- Right-click the flash drive icon again and select the “Properties” button. At the top, click ReadyBoost. There check the “Provide this device for ReadyBoost technology” box, and below choose the size of your flash drive (with the slider or manually). Click on “Apply”
You will not be able to increase the RAM in BIOS. But users can slightly overclock the available power, increasing the frequency of RAM. But in this case, it is better to do just what is necessary. Otherwise, you can damage not only the RAM but also other components. The optimal rate of overclocking is a 10% increase in performance. But it is better to leave it to professionals.
Different computers may have different BIOS versions. Therefore, it is better to google the exact path to the desired settings, depending on the model of your laptop. Even the BIOS opens differently everywhere. For example, some ASUS laptops have different buttons: F2, F9 or Del. These must be pressed during the operating system’s boot.